Thursday, August 25, 2016

A Grand Achievement: Charmaine Merkle

This past July Charmaine, at the age of 64, ran 13.1 mile half marathon. An incredible accomplishment. Here's the experience in her own words:

"I had a group of people cheering for me, a good amount from members of the track club, which shows how great a group they are and very supportive.
 
I have been running off and on for a couple of years, several 5K races (3.1 miles) but that had been the most I had run. Then I started to run longer distances and thought one day I'd like to try a half marathon (not knowing if I could run 13.1 miles at the age of 64). Once I spent the money to register in April, I knew I had to do it, as at that point I was committed. I started to train right away, running 3 days a week for 14 weeks, in the heat and rain. With the help of my daughter (who has run several full marathons) and the support of the track club members (Sly Fox Track Club), I was able to complete the half marathon.

It took me longer to finish than I wanted it to, and yes, I'm blaming part of it on the heat and the ambulance driver (who was only doing what he was supposed to do). This was a fabulous experience and great accomplishment for me, and I am very proud of this.
   
I am contemplating registering for another half but I will do it in cooler weather.  I love a challenge and I challenge myself to complete the next one in less time."

Charmaine came within 2 minutes of matching the goal that she had set for herself.



Congratulations Charmaine!


No comments:

Post a Comment